[quads id=1]

"If you don’t know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else." --- Yogi Berra

Zoe at 3 Days

Early Arrival

Wednesday, August 7, our second DGD (darling granddaughter) decided she wanted to begin her life’s journey. She wasn’t expected until the 16th or 17th and being our daughter-in-law’s first child, we didn’t expect an early arrival.

See the Pics

When we got word that labor had started, our son’s communication went dark and we didn’t hear anything else until we received a picture that announced the big arrival. Our daughter-in-law’s labor was relatively short, but extremely intense and all our son and the hospital staff could do was to react and get her ready for delivery.

Wednesday, August 7, 2013
5 lbs 12 oz 18 inches

It was great to hear the excitement in our son’s voice when he called to follow up on the birth picture. Our daughter-in-law did great and we are so thankful for her deligence and hard work. Our son got to “catch” his first little girl and cut the cord. It brought back memories of when he and his brother were born.

Our son called his brother (who was on duty at the time) and left a message. He also sent a text message. Our son didn’t tell anyone else until the next day when he was sure that his brother had been informed. His brother got the message when he got off duty about midnight eastern time. He couldn’t reach him on the phone, so his brother called me instead. He was thrilled and just couldn’t wait to talk to someone so he called me.  Hopefully in the future they will at least be in the same time zone.

I called Phil at work and asked what we should do about going down to see the newest little granddaughter. Well, before the day was over, I had decided to drive down to Sarasota on Thursday and booked Phil on a Saturday morning flight. I got to spend some time on Friday with our daughter-in-law’s mom. This is her first grandchild and she was so excited. It was good to be together.

Phil flew in Saturday and got to meet the little one. Sigh … immortality. We said our goodbyes on Sunday evening before we went back to our hotel and left early Monday morning to drive back to Hendersonville. It was a short visit, but our daughter-in-law hadn’t had much time without visitors and I know first hand that she needed rest and quiet and some family time without the inlaws and outlaws hovering about.

It was good to be part of their happiness and to share in welcoming the newest addition to their family.

Life is short, smile while you still have teeth.